Monday, April 4, 2011

WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING ALL YOUR LIFE?

TOKYO----For most people, blogging is a medium to connect with the public---every activity, even getting out of bed, becomes an event. For me, blogging happens only when life doesn't keep me busy enough. Unfortunately I've been busy since the autumn, mostly travelling and helping my husband with his world tour of 50th birthday parties spanning 2 continents and 3 cities. Our to-ing and fro-ing had reached such a crescendo that when we arrived in Tokyo in the second week of March and were welcomed by the earthquake and tsunami, we decided to stay put and take our chances because we didn't want to uproot ourselves again. (We also found out that current radiation levels in Hong Kong and Rome are higher than Tokyo's) Since we moved to Tokyo in July last year, I had only lived here a total of 6 weeks until this March. Since January, I had not been here at all. I had all sorts of éxcuses'' not to be here--death and disease; and when disaster struck (literally one of the biggest in the world), I chose that time to ''make a commitment" to my new home which I have grown to respect, if not love (yet). And so life goes on with less electricity in a city which used to be lit up like Vegas everyday. But for this town, using less electricity is normal use in the rest of the free world. We haven't given up heated toilet seats. Weeks after the disaster, I had to search for one thing or another--bread, water, milk, etc. But there was no real shortage. Rations were reasonable--1 bag of rice per person per day, 2 cartons of milk, 1 liter of water, etc. Discretionary spending (including dining out) is at an all time low because the public feel they should not be celebrating or enjoying at such a difficult time. It is their way of showing emotional support for disaster victims and thier families. Sakura parties have been discouraged by the government for the same reason. (Although yesterday I saw so many people 'breaking the law') This is the complete opposite of how westerners would behave and I don't know who has the right attitude. On the one hand you want to stimulate the economy with spending but on the other you can understand their sense of community, the same one that got them through the Second World War, the Kobe earthquake, post-Eighties heyday and everything in that mix. Meanwhile, I just thought of doing an entry while I am not busy (hahaha!!) hoping to jump start this blog again for the Nth time. I constantly wonder about the thin line between blogging about one's life and merely 'showing off." Perhaps it's about time? Or perhaps you can join me vicariously in my next entry as I look for a possible outfit to wear to a wedding in Singapore in two weeks. Right now I have the following choices: a) a Lanvin gold silk dress (I have to be T-H-I-N!) b) a Body Amr chocolate chiffon caftan (v Studio 54) and c) a black Ports velvet dress which has been very reliable for everything else but I think would not be a good choice for a wedding in a garden setting. Shoes: 2 pairs of Manolo Blahnik heels--a) peep-toe black patent and b) nude peau de soie which have yet to be worn. I am leaving for Hong Kong on Wednesday and I could go shopping there since I could use a new outfit not only for this wedding but for another one in London in June and my husband's final 50th, also in London in June. Now, can you see why I haven't found time for blogging?

1 comment:

Johanna Vanessa said...

I can't help but notice your penchant to become thin. I think regardless of body type/size, I think the goal should be, is to be healthy. ☺